Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Take an Idea and Run Away With It

In this day and age of “like” buttons, it’s fairly easy to show appreciation for good ideas. We see them every day in social media and when we like them, we “like” them. And then we move on to appreciate and “like” other things. Here’s the problem, we often end with clicking the like button and nothing else. When that happens, all the good ideas we see do not contribute to our growth. 

Here’s my recommendation. When you see a good idea, pour over it, reflect on it, ask how useful it can be for you and figure out how you can apply it. Allow yourself to be excited enough by the idea to run away with it.  When Steve Jobs went to Xerox’s Palo Alto research center in the 70’s he got excited by a demonstration of  a $300 computer mouse that he pulled all stops to make a $15 mouse for Apple. Read the whole story here to find out how much more ideas Steve Jobs ran away with.

Here's a personal story. Last year, I was invited to talk about social media marketing in one of DTI's public seminars for people who are interested to start a business.  It was pretty uneventful. A few people came. I shared what I know, they asked questions, I answered  and then we're done. I was never invited again. I already forgot all about it. Last week, one of the participants connected with me on Facebook. She told me that she like what she learned from my talk last year, she is now applying it as she starts her peanut butter making and distribution business! You can just imagine my happiness on knowing that the short stint (2 hours) I had with her last year paid off! The message here is this; its not about how much knowledge you gather, it's about how you use the knowledge to pursue your goal or push an agenda.


Here are a couple of questions to get you started. What idea have you read, hear of or thought of that excited you so much lately? What did you do with it?  

Now, here’s an instruction; APPLY IT!

8 comments:

  1. I can relate to your story as I was also a speaker before in a direct selling company. We never know the potential effect of our actions. Look at that, you never expected it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your story as I was also a speaker before in a direct selling company. We never know the potential effect of our actions. Look at that, you never expected it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have experienced and certified career coach with strong ethics and the ability to understand your career goals, then you need to get in touch with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision, keep sharing.

    Financial Accounting Homework Help

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the best way to coach a carrier of a person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post.Thanks for sharing this article with us.Keep posting!!!
    Recruitment consultancy in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am curious to find out what blog system you’re using?
    offshore safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking for the Genuine Experience Certificate for Fill Your Career GAP So Contact Now-9599119376 or Visit Website - https://experincedletter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...